The Yawkey Baseball League’s All-Star Committee, with approval from the Board of Directors, has issued the following protocol by which it will govern the league’s three All-Star events in 2014:
YBL All-Star Game at Fenway Park
* To give players the chance to play at Fenway Park.
* To represent the Yawkey Baseball League in one of the most revered parks in baseball history.
* Each YBL team manager will nominate their own players who will participate in the game.
* The 6 teams that failed to make the previous year’s playoffs may send 2 position players and 1 pitcher.
* The 6 teams that were eliminated in the first two rounds of the previous year’s playoffs will be allowed 1 additional position player for a total of 4 players.
* The 2 teams that made it to the previous year’s YBL Finals will be allowed to send an additional pitcher and position player for a total of 5 players per team.
* This makes a total roster size of 26 players per conference (max. 16 position, 2 DH, and 8 pitching–depending on whether the semi-final losing team decides to send a pitcher or position player)
* Managers representing the teams with the best overall record in their conference will manage their conference in the All-Star Game.
* Additional coaching for each team, consisting of 1 bench coach and 2 base coaches, will be provided by the remaining playoff teams in each conference, with managers of the remaining 6 teams as the bench and base coaches for each conference’s All-Star team.
* There are no requirements stating that each team must be represented, however the All-Star Committee will do its best to ensure as diverse a YBL representation as possible.
* The All-Star Committee will develop a bank of YBL players from which each team manager will be asked to vote for a starting roster.
* This bank of players will be compiled after a review of each player’s:
1 – current season performance
2 – career YBL performance (weighted more heavily towards recent seasons)
3 – prior All-Star / Select team performance
4 – career YBL attendance numbers
5 – availability to participate
* The managers will vote for a starter at each field position, a designated hitter, 3 starting pitchers and a closer (**managers may NOT vote for a player from their own teams).
* The remainder of the team will be selected by the All-Star Committee, culminating in a set number of pitchers and position players (as yet TBD)
* The manager of the previous year’s YBL Champion will be the default manager for this event.
* Additional coaches for the tournament, consisting of 1 bench coach, 2 base coaches, and 1 pitching coach will be selected by the manager in cooperation with the All-Star Committee.
* If the manager of the reigning YBL champion can not attend, the All-Star Committee will select the manager after discussion with the Board of Directors.
* To show respect and support for our armed forces.
* Provide a competitive and fun baseball game.
* Any player with a military service record will be given the opportunity to dress and participate in the event.
* Each YBL manager will again be asked to submit a starting lineup (**again, no selections from their own team)
* The All-Star Committee will fill out the rest of the roster, ensuring that each team is given ample opportunity to be represented in the game.
* The manager of the previous season’s 2nd-place team will be the default manager for this event.
* Additional coaches for the game, consisting of 1 bench coach, 2 base coaches and 1 pitching coach, will be chosen by the manager in cooperation with the All-Star Committee.
* Should the manager not be able to attend, a replacement will be selected by the All-Star Committee and the Board of Directors.